The Greek settlement Aspalathos was probably no more than a village. It was here that the Emperor Diocletian decided to build a luxurious palace, in 300 AD, where he spent the last years of his life and was buried. After his death (313 AD), the palace became the residence of exiled Roman emperors and their families (Julius Nepotus).)
In 614 Salonis was seized by the Avar and Slavs, and its inhabitants sought refuge within Diocletian's walled palace.
7th century the former Diocese of Solin was restored.
812-1069 Split acknowledged the sovereignty of the Byzantine Emperor, and was later annexed to Croatia under King Petar Krešimir IV.
In 1105 Split acknowledged the sovereignty of the Hungaro-Croat kings, but retained her autonomy on the basis of ancient municipal rights.
In 1207 the citizens elected as their priors and commissars the Croatian, Hum and Bosnian feudal lords, Prince Domald, Petar Humski, Grgur Bribirski, Pavao and Mladen Šubić and Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić.
In 1420 came under the protection of the Venetian Republic, which was strengthening her position in Dalmatia by limiting municipal rights.
In the 16th century Split was threatened by the Turks, particularly after Klis was seized in 1537.
Following the Candian and Morean War (late 17th century), the city began to recover.
After the fall of Venice in 1979, Split came under Austrian rule, along with the rest of Dalmatia, and was later granted to the French under the Treaty of Požun (1805).
From 1813-1918 Split was again ruled by Austria. This was a period of general economic stagnation, but also a time of rising national consciousness. At elections in 1882, Split gained a Croatian administration.
During the late 19th century, the economy slowly gained in strength and in the early 20th century, Split became the region's most important port. The other jewel of Split Riviera history is situated between the River Cetina to the east and the River Žrnovice to the west. The Poljica Duchy bordered with Omiš along the natural boundary of the River Cetina. Poljica covered an area of 250 square kilometres and was divided into twelve settlements or cantons, in three areas known as Upper, Central and Lower Poljica, according to their positions in relation to Mosor Mountain. Most of former Poljica today belongs to the municipality of Omiš, though part of it falls with the municipality of Dugi Rat.
History of Poljica
Antiquity a Late Antique villa rustica was built in the village of Ostrvica.
Justinian's rule an early Christian church was built in Gate.
15th century the Poljica Constitution – one of the oldest, most important Croatian historical legal documents, written in the Croatian Chakavian dialect. It enshrined common rights in law, and is housed today in Omiš Museum.
Last but not least is Omiš, another important place in Split Riviera history. The first mention of Omiš is as early as Greek and Roman times. Middle Ages: the people of Omiš were known as pirates, and when at their fiercest, were led by the Kačići princes. Omiš pirates carried out raids on papal galleys and merchant ships belonging to the powerful Venetian Republic and the cities of Dubrovnik and Split for almost two centuries.
History of Omiš
1221 First Crusade. Pope Honorius defeated the pirates who had been attacking Crusaders on their way to Palestine.
1286-7 Second Crusade. The Venetians fought the pirates and brought the powerful Kačić rule in Omiš to an end. The Kačić family was succeeded by the Šubić princes, the Horvat brothers, the Bosnian Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić, Ban Ivaniš Nelipić, Matko Talovac, who was granted power by King Sigismund, and the Bosnian general Stjepan Kosača.
1409. Ladislav Napulski sold Dalmatia to the Venetian Republic.
1444-1797 - Omiš became part of the Venetian Republic.